Magnolia Bakery's red velvet cake with creamy vanilla frosting (about 24 cupcakes)
- 500g plain flour
- 165g unsalted butter, softened
- 500g sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 tbsp red food colouring
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp salt
- 330ml buttermilk
- 1½ tsp cider vinegar
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- 440ml milk
- 450g unsalted butter, softened
- 450g sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4. In a small bowl, sift the plain flour. Set aside. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about three minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Whisk together the red food colouring, unsweetened cocoa powder and vanilla. Add to the batter and beat well.
- Stir the salt in with the buttermilk and add to the batter in three parts, alternating with flour. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are fully incorporated, but make sure you do not overbeat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda and add to the batter and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into cases, then bake each tray of cakes for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before mixing together the frosting ingredients and applying the icing.