Photo by freakgirl. Recipe by Rachael Ray.
I have never thought of putting wine in cakes before! I've just got into drinking red wine so I might try this recipe.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 ounces chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup medium- to full-bodied red wine, such as cannonau
- Two 8-ounce containers mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Red grapes, halved, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 muffin pans with baking liners.
In a medium, heatproof bowl, combine the cocoa powder and chocolate pieces. Whisk in the boiling water until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is combined.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until blended. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until just combined. Alternating, add the chocolate mixture and wine in batches, mixing well between each addition, until the batter is smooth. Divide among the muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan.
Lightly beat the mascarpone, then add the confectioners' sugar and beat until creamy. Remove the cooled cupcakes from the pan, spread each with icing and top with a grape half.